Friday, September 3, 2010

Scooter Cannonball 2010

I figure posting to a vespa blog about a cross country adventure while riding a vintage 1966 Lambretta would be like spitting into the wind, or blaspheme, or um... pick your metaphor. And I can't help but thinking of this less as an adventure, more like the odyssey it's doomed to be, since I'm driving an antique, rather than a newer reliable ride.

With that in mind, I added this second blog to my repertoire. It has a small widget to track my progress via google latitude. My phone GPS will report my location.

Please don't expect any more than some photos with a few comments. Writing a coherent blog/journal is difficult for me and takes more time than I expect I'll have.  Also don't expect a lot while I'm in Canada. Phone data charges are ridiculous, however I can send and receive texts to my hearts content with a very reasonable cost factor. I'll try and catch up with the photos once I get back in this country.

Here's a link to our route:  Clicky here

I wasn't smart enough to take any photos of my scooter loaded up for the Cannonball. Last weekend I spent a lot of time, packing spare parts, tools, rain gear, extra gloves, first aid kit, etc., that I would carry with me. I got a roll chart to write my route on adding machine tape. I think trying to copy/paste/print/tape together directions from google maps will be a chore. I've got a sharpie, and my handwriting still works. With two extra jerry cans of fuel, and a roll bag on the rear rack, I am the Beverly Hillbillies on two ten inch tires.

Here's a photo of my scooter similarly loaded up for CORSA:IFP  close enough...

Wish me luck. Ciao.

Starr

No comments:

Post a Comment